A weekend in Tokyo (day 1)

It had been a long time since I’d been to Tokyo (about 7 months) so I picked a random weekend to visit. I took the night bus which cost ¥8500 for a return, not the most luxurious of ways to to travel but fairly convenient and cheap.

I arrived at 7am at Tokyo Station, quickly freshened up and changed in the station toilets (classy) and went to my hostel. It was too early for check in and no one was around..I waited around a while then as I’d stayed there before I ventured to the kitchen area to find someone so I could leave my bag.


First I went to Asakusa, to Sensoji so I could say my prayers. This weekend was the peak of cherry blossom in Tokyo so I could admire all the lovely trees by the temple.

Then I went to Harajuku, it was still too early for the shops to be open so I walked to Laforet and joined the other people waiting for it to open.

I saw the flower headpiece the Alice and the Pirates designer was wearing at the Kera tea party so had to buy it! The Day Dream Carnival series had just been released at Angelic Pretty the day before and they had some tights, tote bags and small accessories left. I don’t actually like the series, but many people do and I hear the release was a complete nightmare!

I wandered back up Takeshita Dori, stopped at Closet Child and was a little disappointed at what was there. I was ready to buy everything but there wasn’t much to my taste. In the end just got the ETC present box jsk (I used to have the skirt) and a qpot ring. Actually I was pretty happy with the ring, I’d been eyeing up the necklace of the same series for a while and it was pretty cheap (¥2800). I browsed the other shops a little but didn’t buy much, just a small flower from Paris Kids.

Next was Shinjuku to meet the International Tokyo Lolita’s group! We went to Edinburgh a small tea room for food. I got a bagel – yum!

Sarah’s cappuccino was crazy, you had to scoop the cream on and then stir it with the cinnamon stick. It looked impressive but actually was more hard work and washing up!

After we refueled we went to the Doll exhibition, it was really interesting, some of the dolls looked beautifully melancholic and others were the stuff of nightmares! They cost an absolute fortune as well.

We spent about 45mins at the exhibit and then walked to Shinjuku park around the corner. As it costs ¥200 to enter and they have a strict no alcohol policy ( your bags are searched when entering) it wasn’t over crowded so we could enjoy the sakura and take pictures!

I fail at posing and look how I feel (like I just spent the night on the bus with only 4 hrs of interrupted sleep).


Pretty sakura.

The park closes at 5pm and it was 4.30pm so we left and went to the shops! Marui One and Closet Child Shinjuku. I didn’t buy anything though :( a few people had to leave and the four of us left went to dinner in Harajuku.

We went to a Jamaican place! It was my first time trying Jamaican food and I really enjoyed it even though the service was laughably slow and relaxed (“Ey Yvonne we got any of that jerk chicken?”, in a heavy Jamaican accent!).

I went back to the Toco and enjoyed my free drink, stood awkwardly at the bar and talked to a few locals in stilted Japanese and English.

3 thoughts on “A weekend in Tokyo (day 1)

    • Well I can’t get my bust into it so maybe you can own it sooner than you think! :) the sakura is gorgeous but all blowing off the branches now. It’s cute to see the little kids trying to chase it!x

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s